Friday, March 4, 2016

A Post By Caroline Pearce

I have forwarded many of Brian’s posts about running for the Guilford County Board of Education and I have been to many events in his support, but I have never really written about why I am excited to support his candidacy.  I know what you are thinking, of course you would support him! After all, he is your husband. 

Brian would be the first to tell you that we have the type of relationship where we freely discuss the pros and cons of what either of us wants to do and come to a family decision.  Brian knew and has known that if I didn’t think Brian running for the Board of Education was a good idea then I would not have held back my thoughts or opinions with him and I would have worked to convince Brian not to run.  But that didn’t happen. I agree with the reasons Brian is running all of his ideas to better our schools and I wanted to tell you why.

Brian wants to be a voice for the parents.  I have been that parent and the person that has had a passion or concern and been standing on the sidelines (or at a meeting) and felt my thoughts, feelings and needs were not being heard.  I have been the momma bear that would do anything to protect and help my child. But I can only yell so loud and go so far if no one is there to listen, understand and voice my concerns on the other side.  I, of course, have had most of my experiences with my son, who is on the autism spectrum, but I recognize that all families have their own personal struggles with issues that their own children have to overcome.  I know that my husband is empathetic to all of these struggles and that he will have the desire to hear and understand and act upon the needs of those who choose to bring their struggles to the Board of Education for resolution.  Brian is just that type of person. He is willing to fight for these who need someone fighting for them.

         Brian has a high level compassion for others.  Brian put himself out in the forefront of being an advocate for insurance reform for children with Autism in North Carolina.  What most people don’t understand and don’t know is that our family already had coverage for our child’s therapies under our insurance plan when Brian was in the lead in this fight.  Brian is not a “because I am okay, then everything is okay” kind of person.  No, instead of stepping out of the fight when we had coverage, Brian spent countless hours driving back and forth to Raleigh and speaking to whatever members of the General Assembly would listen to him.  During the fight for coverage, Brian ruffled the feathers of those who opposed the change or were willing to accept a less than perfect resolution, but he only did that because he saw the importance in fighting for a law that would provide every child with the type of insurance coverage that they deserved.  Brian believes the same with education.  Every child, no matter what their background is or what abilities they have, deserves an exceptional education. Brian will go to bat for all of our children and fight to make sure they are receiving a quality education in a safe place. 

     Brian has integrity and character.  I think sometimes these important qualities get overlooked in this day and age.  In this age where we have all of the horrible name calling and bashing of people, we see negative headlines or hear negative comments and think “I’m not surprised, that is just how people are these days”.  Why does it have to be that way?  When did we as a society stop caring about upholding good morals and ethical practices?  People like to think that if it doesn’t affect them directly then it doesn’t really matter, but it does.  If we don’t hold the people we trust to make decisions about or children’s future to a high standard, then what have we become? After all, how you act when you think no one is looking, should be how you act when everyone is looking.  I have never questioned my husband’s character or his loyalty to our family, friends, or his work.  I know that you wouldn’t have to question him either.


I just want to sum up by saying again that I am out there with my husband pushing to get him elected, not just because he is my husband, but because I think he is the best candidate for the job.  I am picking him because I trust in his ability to make every child’s education be the best in Guilford County.  

No comments:

Post a Comment